Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Choose better

I have been plagued with a situation for a while now. Finding myself consumed with the idea of it has caused me to be very unsettled and playing lots of mental chess. I find myself grumbling throughout the day about it and I just haven't been able to shake the thoughts that come over me.

Today in my reading I came across the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10 when Jesus came with his disciples to visit. Martha was in a bustle toiling over preparations and tasks while Mary sat at Jesus' feet. I can just picture it in my mind: Martha is washing dishes, straightening up the house, looking for finger foods to satisfy her company until dinner is being prepared. And I can also invision Mary who is quite content gleaning from every Word that Jesus spoke. Although Martha is a good woman, full of ambition and excellence, I do see her as a worrier. She concerns herself with matters that are unimportant and trivial. Like her, I sometimes do the same.

When Martha complains to Jesus about Mary's unconcerned attitude, Jesus replies:

"Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41-42

Wow! Just when Martha was hoping that Jesus would chastize Mary, He defends her! Mary had a revelation that Martha didn't. She understood that she was in the presence of the Saviour. She knew that her time spent with Him was much more important than tussling away at frivolous tasks. Mary chose better.

Today I want to encourage someone who is like me. To all the Martha's in the world, if you have been preoccupying yourself with unimportant situations and circumstances, readjust your priorities and put Jesus first on the list. Give your concerns and cares to Him- He's the only one who cares and has the power to fix it. Get lost at the feet of Jesus because only in Him will you find peace for all your chaotic circumstances.
Today, choose better. Choose Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment