Thursday, March 8, 2012

God is not mad at you!

Maybe you're like me and have dealt with guilt most of your life. I can remember being just a child and mentally punishing myself for things I knew I ought not to do. Even though I knew God had forgiven me, and I understood the moral behind the life lesson, I believed that I wasn't good enough to recieve God's forgiveness nor my own.

Mentally I have tormented myself time and time again with plaguing thoughts of guilt and shame. It was my own way of fulfilling my own chastisement. This is the way of the world- to make us carry baggage that no longer belongs to us. Over time, those bags become far too heavy and they weighed down my spirit leading to unbalanced emotions and depression.
But God is not like. The revelation of God's love for us is so mind blowing and He knows everything that we struggle with and everything we will do in the future that will cause us to fall. Regardless, He still loves us unconditionally and offers us forgiveness in exchange for a repentent heart. The Bible says:

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." -Romans 5:8 NIV

We do not have to carry the bags of guilt and shame... we are set free from that way of life. Do you realize that holding on to guilt is offensive to God? Guilt is a direct message to God that although He has forgiven us, His grace and mercy isn't enough. If this were so, there would be no reason for the Calvery! God's redemption through His Son Jesus Christ was enough to forgive and cancel out any debt (punishment) we could ever attain through sin.

Remember, God is not mad at you! In fact, He takes great delight in you! Zephaniah 3:17 says: "The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

In your guilt, consider these scriptures...
  • "I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more." -Isaiah 43:25
  • "And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." -Ephesians 3:17-19
  • "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" -Romans 8:1
  • "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." -John 8:36
  • "As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." -Psalm 103:12
  • "Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; He is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands." -Deuteronomy 7:9
Forgive yourself... God already has!

No comments:

Post a Comment